The first thing that I did was buy an enlarger. It is one of the most important things about a darkroom. Well, that and a light tight room. Like leaks can fog your images.
There are several ways that you can go about buying an enlarger. You can check out yardsales, flea markets, friend's garages, buying it in a photo store, or buying used online from eBay.
I bought mine from eBay. There are several other items that you will need for a darkroom also. Here is a quick list.
- Enlarger timer (foot switch is also helpful when dodging and burning)
- Grain magnifier
- Film Tanks and reels
- At least two safe lights
- Light-tight paper safe
- Running water
- Large sink (at least 5 feet, to hold trays, but it can be smaller if need be)
- Deep tray with holes (washing tray)
- Hose that connects from deep tray and the faucet
- Trays (at least as large as your prints)
- Print tongs
- Graduates (small, medium, and large)
- Dark bottles for chemical storage
- Film clips